Vice President of Product Development, Scalable Network Technologies Inc., 2012
-- Network simulation, military communications, security, and performance analysis (onshore and offshore development teams (India) - Read More
Vice President of Engineering, CyberDefender Inc., 2009-2012
-- Antivirus, security threat research, system security, performance optimization, enterprise systems, onshore and offshore development teams (India) - Read More
Chief Architect, OpenSoft, 2007-2009
-- E-commerce, industrial equipment design, factory floor automation, offset and digital printing technologies, legal software, court case management, onshore and offshore (Russia) development - Read More
CTO and Vice President of Production, CodeFire Studios, Inc. 2005-2007
-- Video game development, distributed micro-transaction system, art direction, in-house and offshore development (Texas) - Read More
Co-Founder, The Fat Cat Club 2005-2007
-- Angel investment club, recruiting and selecting presenters, regulatory analysis, event organization - Read More
Vice President of Engineering, uWink, Inc. 2004-2005
-- Video game development, physical game console manufacturing, remote monitoring and update network, uWink Cafe, onshore and offshore (China) development teams - Read More
Chief Technology Officer, Virtual Language Laboratories LLC, 2002-2004
-- Helped build this startup from the ground up including raising capital, writing business plans, developing technology, and keeping everything together.
VLL develops language translation systems, most notably a robust system for live translation of television feeds into foreign languages using a variety of
video technologies, web services technologies, machine translation systems, and interfaces for human editors, monitoring, and high-availability architecture. - Read More
Founder/CEO, AuthentiKey, 2001-2002
-- Created a startup company to operate a large-scale Internet identity management system. Supervised all aspects of starting the company including hiring
attorneys, a public relations firm, and recruiting other staff, setting up fund raising operations, developing business plans and developing the architecture of
technical systems. - Read More
Director of Product Development/Architect, EarthLink 1996-2001
-- Played key roles including group management, high level design work, technology evaluations, artistic direction, multimedia development, partner management, integration of systems from acquired companies, recruiting, scheduling, cross-departmental collaboration, company strategy, and other related issues.
- Software Development: Built a world class development group from the ground up and lead development projects involving as many as 130 total contributors. This included everything from feature selection, detailed design, and art direction, to press contacts. An online summary of the EarthLink 5.0 software is available.
- Product Management: Conducted focus groups and usability studies, established product strategies, created and approved graphic and video designs, and handled press and partner relationships (particularly with Apple, Microsoft. Netscape, and others).
- Technical Advisory Board: Met quarterly with a formal board of respected industry leaders (such as Arno Penzias, Stewart Alsop, Christine Varney, Phil Neches, and Dave Farber) to discuss industry trends and company policies.
- Broadband: Developed the core architecture of EarthLink's broadband systems and strategy including PPPoE architecture and multiple transport strategy.
- EarthLink Everywhere: Worked internally and with partners to establish a non-computer device product strategy.
- Portal: Helped design the world's first customizable web portal.
- Enterprise Systems Design: Designed an XML-based enterprise data exchange standard to handle new customer registration, account management, and service authentication.
- Product Line Design: Participated in a focused 3 month offsite project to chart a comprehensive course for the company and its products including business model, product features, and technical design in 2001.
President and Co-Founder, US Networx, Inc. 1992-1996
-- Managed business and
financial operations, solicited venture capital, negotiated OEM and
technology licensing contracts, and conducted marketing and sales operations.
Marketing responsibilities included everything from product positioning
and ad design to channel development. Responsibilities also included
coordinating development of network troubleshooting, protocol analysis, virus detection,
and network security software. The primary US Networx product is an PC-based
network protocol analyzer called LAN Doctor. It is still on the market under the name EtherTest. - Read More
Senior Designer, Peter Norton Computing/Symantec Corporation 1989-1992
Senior Software Engineer, Nastec Corporation 1987-1989
- Network Management/Administration Utilities - Lead design,
architecture, and corporate acquisition efforts associated with several
network management utilities. This included creation of prototypes, demonstrations,
evaluation of competitive products,
employee recruitment, and organization of focus groups.
- Norton Desktop for Windows - Designed and implemented disk utilities, and general user interface for this desktop the first Norton Desktop product.
- Bedrock Object-Oriented Environment Framework Design Group -
Participated in the design of Bedrock, a portable object-oriented application
design framework. Bedrock includes a rich set of data structure
classes, user interface classes, and other useful tools.
- Norton Utilities for Unix - Was the product manager coordinating activities between
the Norton group, the development company (Segue Software),
and the marketing company (Interactive Systems).
- Norton AntiVirus - Originated the project concept for Norton AntiVirus and its modular design.
- Norton Utilities for the Macintosh v1.0 - Directed the quality
assurance efforts and drove the project to completion despite many previous delays.
- Acquisition Department - Conducted due diligence investigations focusing mainly on
the technology and personnel of at least 50 companies under consideration for acquisition by Symantec
in areas of communication, databases, networking, and object-oriented technology, among
- Norton Commander - Worked as a developer including the
Commander Link component, file viewers, and user interface design, widely considered to be the best DOS interface ever produced.
-- Participated in several
projects involving the development of CASE (Computer Aided Software
Engineering) tools. The last assignment was to start a remote R&D office and hire a development team to
build a portable CASE tool platform in C++.
Principal responsibilities included recruiting the development staff, defining the overall software
architecture, evaluating third party tools, supervising R&D activities of
the development staff, interfacing with non-technical staff and establishing
portability/consistency standards and design methodologies for the
system. - Read More
Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, attended 1980-1985.
B.S. in computer science and minor in mathematics, December 1984.
M.S. in computer science, coursework completed without graduation
Concentrations: Graphics, Image Processing, Artificial Intelligence, and
Dissertation topic: 3-D object model representation, rendering, and animation
Hobbies & Interests: